The Remains of the Day is a novel by Kazuo Ishiguro that was first published in 1989.
Read our full plot summary and analysis of The Remains of the Day, scene by scene break-downs, and more.
Summary & Analysis
- Prologue: July 1956 / Darlington Hall
- Day One–Evening / Salisbury
- Day Two–Morning / Salisbury
- Day Two–Afternoon / Mortimer's Pond, Dorset & Day Three–Morning / Taunton, Somerset
- Day Three–Evening / Moscombe, near Tavistock, Devon
- Day Four–Afternoon / Little Compton, Cornwall
- Day Six–Evening / Weymouth
- Historical Background
Find the quotes you need to support your essay, or refresh your memory of the book by reading these key quotes.
Test your knowledge of The Remains of the Day with quizzes about every section, major characters, themes, symbols, and more.
- Full Book Quiz
- Day Two-Afternoon / Mortimer's Pond, Dorset & Day Three-Morning / Taunton, Somerset
- Day Three-Evening / Moscombe, near Tavistock, Devon
Go further in your study of The Remains of the Day with background information, movie adaptations, and links to the best resources around the web.
PurchaseGo to BN.com to get your copy of these helpful resources.
Take a Study Break
Every Shakespeare Play Summed Up in a Quote from The Office
Every Book on Your English Syllabus, Summed Up in Marvel Quotes
A Roundup of the Funniest Great Gatsby Memes You'll Ever See
QUIZ: How Many of These Literary Jeopardy! Questions Can You Answer Correctly?
7 "Crazy" Women in Literature Who Were Actually Being Totally Reasonable
Honest Names for All the Books on Your English Syllabus
QUIZ: Are You a Hero, a Villain, or an Anti-Hero?