1. Why do you think Gardner made the decision to use Grendel as a narrator? How does Grendel’s status as a monster affect the way he tells the story?
2. What is Grendel’s attitude toward language? How does it change throughout the novel?
3. What does Grendel want from Hrothgar and the Danes? Would it ever be possible for Grendel to attain his goal? If so, how?
4. Choose an astrological sign and follow it through its associated chapter. What is the sign’s relevance? What does it come to signify in Grendel as a whole?
5. Trace Gardner’s use of “cartoon” imagery throughout Grendel. Why is the use of grotesque, exaggerated humor appropriate in the novel?