1. Among the adult characters, who are sympathetic? Why do we find them to be sympathetic?
2. In what ways does Kaysen cast doubt on whether she was actually mentally ill? Why does she create this doubt?
3. What does Kaysen mean when she asks whether Daisy’s suicide was “really premature?”
4. Why did Kaysen include her hospital records in the memoir?
5. Why does Kaysen relate the events of her time at McLean in nonchronological order? What is the effect of this choice on our understanding of her experience?