The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald’s 1925 Jazz Age novel about the impossibility of recapturing the past, was initially a failure. Today, the story of Gatsby’s doomed love for the unattainable Daisy is considered a defining novel of the 20th century. Explore a character analysis of Gatsby, plot summary, and important quotes.
Read our full plot summary and analysis of The Great Gatsby, chapter-by-chapter break-downs, and more.
See a complete list of the characters in The Great Gatsby and in-depth analyses of Jay Gatsby, Nick Carraway, Daisy Buchanan, and more.
Here's where you'll find analysis of the literary devices in The Great Gatsby, from the major themes to motifs, symbols, and more.
Questions & Answers
Explore our selection of frequently asked questions about The Great Gatsby and find the answers you need.
- How does Nick Carraway first meet Jay Gatsby?
- Why did Daisy marry Tom?
- Why does Gatsby arrange for Nick to have lunch with Jordan Baker?
- How does Tom find out about the affair between Gatsby and Daisy?
- Why does Myrtle run out in front of Gatsby’s car?
- How does Gatsby make his money?
- How are West Egg and East Egg different?
- What is the importance of the character Owl Eyes?
- Does Daisy love Gatsby or Tom?
- Why does Tom insist on switching cars with Gatsby when they go to the city?
- Why is Nick the narrator of the story?
- Why does Daisy cry over Gatsby’s shirts?
- Why does Tom bring up race so often?
- Why is Myrtle attracted to Tom?
- Why does Gatsby stop throwing parties?
Find the quotes you need to support your essay, or refresh your memory of The Great Gatsby by reading these key quotes.
Test your knowledge of The Great Gatsby with quizzes about every section, major characters, themes, symbols, and more
Get ready to ace your paper on The Great Gatsby with our suggested essay topics, helpful essays about historical and literary context, a sample A+ student essay, and more.
Go further in your study of The Great Gatsby with background information, movie adaptations, and links to the best resources around the web.