Their Eyes Were Watching God is a novel by Zora Neale Hurston that was first published in 1937.
Read our full plot summary and analysis of Their Eyes Were Watching God, chapter by chapter break-downs, and more.
See a complete list of the characters in Their Eyes Were Watching God and in-depth analyses of Janie Mae Crawford, Tea Cake, Jody Starks, Nanny Crawford, and Mrs. Turner.
Here's where you'll find analysis of the literary devices in Their Eyes Were Watching God, from the major themes to motifs, symbols, and more.
Questions & Answers
Explore our selection of frequently asked questions about Their Eyes Were Watching God and find the answers you need.
- What does the title mean?
- Why does Janie’s grandmother encourage her to get married so young?
- What is “the muck” where Janie and Tea Cake live?
- How does Janie feel about Jody’s death?
- Why is the porch important?
- What are the personal histories of Nanny, Janie’s grandmother, and of Janie’s mother?
- Who were Janie’s three husbands?
- What role does Janie’s physical appearance play in the novel?
- Why is Joe Starks a natural leader?
- Why are people in Eatonville scandalized by the romance between Janie and Tea Cake?
- How do Janie and Tea Cake support themselves while they are in the Everglades?
- How does Janie interact with the women she meets in the Everglades?
- Why does Janie kill Tea Cake?
- After she returns to Eatonville, how does Janie let people know what has happened to her in her absence?
Find the quotes you need to support your Their Eyes Were Watching God essay, or refresh your memory of the book by reading these key quotes.
- Rural Florida
Test your knowledge of Their Eyes Were Watching God with quizzes about every section, major characters, themes, symbols, and more.
Get ready to ace your Their Eyes Were Watching God paper with our suggested essay topics, helpful essays about historical and literary context, a sample A+ student essay, and more.
Go further in your study of Their Eyes Were Watching God with background information, movie adaptations, and links to the best resources around the web.