1. Discuss each of the prominent female characters in Cold Sassy Tree. Are they relevant to contemporary ideas of womanhood, or can they be read only as figures from a bygone era?
2. Why is Rucker initially so resistant to technology, both inside and outside of the home? What makes him change his mind?
3. At any point, is the marriage of Miss Love or Rucker in serious jeopardy? What causes the problems that threaten the marriage, or what prevents them?
4. Do Will’s feelings toward Hosie Roach change over the course of the story? If so, how do they change?
5. How do you think we are supposed to feel about the modernization of Cold Sassy? Overall, is it a change for better or worse?